West Bengal politics witnessed fresh turmoil as Trinamool Congress candidate Jahangir Khan announced his withdrawal from the upcoming Falta Assembly re-poll scheduled for May 21.
Khan, who had earlier grabbed headlines by calling himself “Pushpa” after a clash with IPS officer Ajay Pal Sharma, said he wanted peace and development for Falta. “I am the son of Falta, and I want Falta to grow. Our CM Suvendu Adhikari is giving a special package for Falta, which is why I am separating myself from the re-polling,” Khan said in a viral video.
The TMC denied receiving any formal communication from Khan but accused him of succumbing to the BJP’s pressure. The party alleged that since May 4, over 100 workers had been arrested in Falta, offices vandalised, and intimidation unleashed. “Our fight against the Bangla Birodhi BJP will continue,” the party said in a statement.
Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari reacted sharply, claiming Khan had no option but to run away. “He had no other way, as he won’t get a polling agent, so he decided to run away,” Adhikari said during campaigning in South 24 Parganas.
The Election Commission had earlier ordered a re-poll in all 285 booths of Falta after declaring the April 29 election void due to serious irregularities, including confirmed EVM tampering in at least 60 polling stations.
The controversy between Khan and IPS officer Sharma also added drama, with Khan famously retorting, “If he is Singham, I am Pushpa.” The re-poll now faces heightened tension as both parties prepare for a decisive contest.

























