At least two people were killed and eight others critically injured in a shooting incident at Brown University on Saturday afternoon, triggering an active shooter alert and forcing students and staff to take shelter during final examinations.
According to university provost Frank Doyle, the shooting occurred near the Barus & Holley building, which houses the School of Engineering and the physics department. Final exams were underway in the building at the time of the incident.
Brown University initially informed its community through an emergency alert that a suspect had been taken into custody. However, the university later clarified that no arrests had been made, and law enforcement agencies were still searching for the suspect or suspects.
Students Among the Victims
As reported by Reuters, the university president confirmed that two of the victims who lost their lives were students. The identities of the victims have not been released, pending notification of families.
Providence Mayor said there was no immediate indication of additional threats connected to the incident, though authorities remain on high alert.
Campus Issues Active Shooter Alert
Following the shooting, the university issued an active shooter alert instructing students and staff to lock doors, silence phones, and shelter in place. The alert outlined standard safety guidance, urging evacuation only if it could be done safely and advising people to remain hidden if evacuation was not possible.
Later alerts reported additional gunfire near Governor Street, prompting continued shelter-in-place instructions as police secured the area.
Law Enforcement and Emergency Response
Multiple law enforcement agencies responded to the scene, including local police and federal authorities. FBI Director Kash Patel said in a post on X that FBI personnel were present at the site and were providing all necessary support.
Emergency medical teams were deployed on campus, and authorities said they were actively gathering information as the investigation continued.
Kristy DosReis, chief public information officer for the city of Providence, said police were still assessing the situation and urged the public to avoid the area.
As of the latest update, the situation remains ongoing, and the university has asked students and staff to continue following official safety instructions.























