US President Donald Trump has once again asserted that his threat to impose steep tariffs prevented a full-scale military conflict between India and Pakistan in May 2025. Speaking at a Board of Peace meeting on Thursday, Trump said he warned both nations that he would impose a 200% tariff if hostilities continued.
Trump claimed that the financial pressure was decisive in bringing both sides back from escalation. “If you fight, I’m going to put 200 per cent tariffs on each of your countries,” he said, adding that “nothing is like money” when it comes to influencing decisions at the highest level.
Reference to Operation Sindoor and Rising Tensions
The remarks relate to the May 2025 military confrontation that followed a terrorist attack in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir, on April 22, 2025. In response, India launched a tri-service military strike, known as Operation Sindoor, targeting locations in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
India’s action led to a sharp escalation in tensions and a breakdown in diplomatic engagement between the two neighbouring countries. The standoff concluded on May 10, 2025, with what both sides described as a “ceasefire understanding.”
Trump Increases Jet Count in Latest Remarks
In his latest statement, Trump also increased the number of jets allegedly shot down during the conflict from seven, as previously claimed, to 11. He described them as “very expensive jets,” emphasising the financial cost of the confrontation.
Before India and Pakistan formally announced the cessation of hostilities, Trump had posted on Truth Social claiming he had “stopped the war.” He reiterated this position during the Board of Peace meeting.
India Denies US Role in Ceasefire
The Government of India has consistently denied any third-party mediation in the ceasefire understanding. Indian officials have stated that the de-escalation followed direct communication initiated by Pakistan’s Director General of Military Operations (DGMO).
However, Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has publicly thanked Trump for what he described as timely intervention. At the meeting, Sharif praised the US President as a “man of peace,” saying his involvement potentially averted large-scale loss of life in South Asia.
Diplomatic Claims Continue to Draw Attention
Trump’s renewed assertions are likely to fuel further diplomatic discussion, as New Delhi maintains that the ceasefire was achieved bilaterally. The differing narratives underscore the continued sensitivity surrounding the 2025 India-Pakistan military standoff.

























