Former India captain Bhaichung Bhutia has called for fans to boycott the upcoming India-Brazil friendly in Kolkata, questioning the reported ₹50-70 crore expenditure on a single 90-minute match.
India are scheduled to face five-time world champions Brazil at Kolkata’s Salt Lake Stadium on October 3. While the high-profile fixture has generated considerable excitement among football fans, Bhutia has argued that the money involved could be better used to strengthen Indian football at the grassroots and club levels.
Speaking to 420 Grams, Bhutia urged supporters to stay away from the match as a way of sending a message to football administrators.
“Boycott that Brazil match. Then I think that is a big message. Then every organiser, every federation will think twice,” Bhutia said.
Bhutia questions Brazil match expenditure
Reports have estimated that organising Brazil’s visit could cost around ₹60-70 crore. Bhutia questioned whether such a large investment in a one-off exhibition match was justified when Indian football continues to face financial and structural challenges.
He particularly raised concerns over the possible involvement of the West Bengal government in funding or raising money for the fixture.
Bhutia suggested that instead of spending tens of crores on one match, the funds could be invested in athletes, football infrastructure and youth development.
He proposed using around ₹30 crore to develop multiple futsal grounds across Bengal or to support athletes preparing for major international competitions.
‘Your money is gone and your football is 20 years behind’
Bhutia acknowledged that Brazil’s arrival would create enormous excitement among fans, the media and the government. However, he questioned what the long-term legacy of the event would be.
“If the match happens, everybody is excited, fans come in, you know, media, the government, everybody will be happy. But once the match happens, your money is gone and your football is 20 years behind,” he said.
His argument centres on the opportunity cost of the proposed spending, with the former India captain calling for greater focus on developing sustainable football infrastructure rather than one-off spectacles.
East Bengal and Mohammedan Sporting could be affected
Bhutia also warned that the expenditure could have consequences for Kolkata’s traditional football clubs.
He claimed that if ₹50-70 crore were diverted towards the Brazil fixture, clubs such as East Bengal and Mohammedan Sporting could find it harder to attract sponsors and investors.
“East Bengal will struggle because of Brazil,” Bhutia said, arguing that the money spent on the friendly could otherwise circulate within Bengal’s football ecosystem.
His comments come amid financial difficulties faced by parts of Indian club football, including outstanding liabilities acknowledged by Mohammedan Sporting.
Brazil friendly follows ASEAN Cup controversy
The proposed Brazil friendly has already been at the centre of debate following the All India Football Federation’s decision to withdraw India from the inaugural FIFA ASEAN Cup.
India had been drawn alongside Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore in the competition, but the federation opted to prioritise the Brazil fixture.
Bhutia had previously criticised that decision, arguing that competitive matches against Asian opposition would provide greater sporting value to the Indian team.
His latest comments take that criticism further, with the former captain now calling on fans to boycott the Brazil match as a protest against what he sees as misplaced priorities.
For Bhutia, the issue is not opposition to playing Brazil itself, but whether Indian football can afford to spend such a large amount on a single event when long-term investment in players, clubs and infrastructure remains necessary.

























