• About us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact
Saturday, February 21, 2026
Pragativadi I Latest Odisha News in English I Breaking News
  • EPAPER
  • Odisha
  • Twin City
  • Politics
  • National
  • World
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • E-Library
  • Quiz
No Result
View All Result
  • EPAPER
  • Odisha
  • Twin City
  • Politics
  • National
  • World
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • E-Library
  • Quiz
No Result
View All Result
Pragativadi I Latest Odisha News in English I Breaking News
No Result
View All Result

Home » OpenAI Flagged and Blocked Canadian School Shooter’s ChatGPT Account Months Before Attack

OpenAI Flagged and Blocked Canadian School Shooter’s ChatGPT Account Months Before Attack

Ananya Pattnaik by Ananya Pattnaik
February 21, 2026
in Trending Now, World
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0 0
0
OpenAI
0
SHARES
11
VIEWS

OpenAI, the company behind ChatGPT, has confirmed that it identified and banned the account of a Canadian school shooting suspect months before last week’s deadly attack.


In a statement, the San Francisco-based firm said its internal systems flagged the account of 18-year-old Jesse Van Rootselaar in June 2025 for the “furtherance of violent activities.” The account was subsequently blocked for violating company policy.

However, OpenAI decided not to alert law enforcement at that time, concluding the activity did not meet its threshold for referral.

The development was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.


Why Law Enforcement Was Not Notified

OpenAI clarified that its internal standard for contacting authorities requires an “imminent and credible risk of serious physical harm to others.”

According to the company, its review did not reveal evidence of immediate or concrete planning when the account was assessed. As a result, it determined that the situation did not cross the threshold necessary to involve police.

Following the shooting, OpenAI said it proactively contacted the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and shared information about the suspect’s use of ChatGPT.

“Our thoughts are with everyone affected by the Tumbler Ridge tragedy. We proactively reached out to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police with information on the individual and their use of ChatGPT, and we’ll continue to support their investigation,” a company spokesperson said.


Police Investigating Digital Evidence

RCMP Staff Sgt. Kris Clark confirmed that OpenAI contacted authorities after the shooting.

Investigators are conducting a comprehensive review of electronic devices, social media activity, and other online records linked to the suspect. Officials said digital and physical evidence is being collected and processed as part of the ongoing investigation.


Details of the Tumbler Ridge School Shooting

Police stated that the suspect allegedly killed family members at home before launching an attack at a school in Tumbler Ridge.

The victims included a 39-year-old teaching assistant and five students aged 12 to 13. Authorities said the suspect died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Officials noted that the individual had prior mental health contacts with police. The motive behind the attack remains under investigation.

The incident is being described as Canada’s deadliest mass killing since the 2020 Nova Scotia tragedy.


Ongoing Investigation

Authorities have emphasized that the case remains active. Investigators continue to analyse both digital and physical evidence to determine the full circumstances surrounding the attack.

The case has also raised broader questions about technology platforms, content monitoring, and the threshold for reporting potential threats to law enforcement.

Tags: AI safetyCanada newsCanadian school shootingChatGPTdigital investigationJesse Van RootselaarOpenAIRCMPtech policyTumbler Ridge
Previous Post

Shailabala Women’s College Students Protest for University Status

Next Post

Man Arrested in Suspicious Death Case of Wife in Malkangiri

Ananya Pattnaik

Ananya Pattnaik

Related Posts

Verstappen Retirement Hint
Sports

F1 CEO Responds to Max Verstappen’s Retirement Hint

February 21, 2026
Google
Tech

Google Employee Shares ‘Surreal’ Moment of Meeting Sundar Pichai at Gurgaon Office

February 21, 2026
Bhubaneswar Road Development
Odisha

Bhubaneswar Road Development: Minister Announces Rs 150 Crore Repair Plan

February 21, 2026
Next Post
Malkangiri Suspicious Death Case

Man Arrested in Suspicious Death Case of Wife in Malkangiri

Brown Sugar Seizure Bhubaneswar

SCU Seizes Brown Sugar in Bhubaneswar, 3 Held

Congress

Delhi Police Calls AI Summit Shirtless Protest a ‘Conspiracy’; Seeks 5-Day Custody of Youth Congress Workers

Follow Us

  • 4k Followers

Recommended

Film Director

Film Director Arrested in Delhi Over Rape Allegations

11 months ago
Dream11 CEO

Dream11 CEO Harsh Jain Rules Out Layoffs Despite 95% Revenue Loss After Gaming Ban

6 months ago
Donald Trump

Donald Trump adamant on April 2 reciprocal tariff plan

11 months ago
JD Vance

US Vice President JD Vance to visit India with Usha Vance this month

12 months ago

Instagram

Follow Now

Highlights

Odisha Unveils Multi-Pronged Tourism Promotion Plan

Delhi Police Calls AI Summit Shirtless Protest a ‘Conspiracy’; Seeks 5-Day Custody of Youth Congress Workers

SCU Seizes Brown Sugar in Bhubaneswar, 3 Held

Man Arrested in Suspicious Death Case of Wife in Malkangiri

OpenAI Flagged and Blocked Canadian School Shooter’s ChatGPT Account Months Before Attack

Shailabala Women’s College Students Protest for University Status

Trending

Verstappen Retirement Hint
Sports

F1 CEO Responds to Max Verstappen’s Retirement Hint

by Itishree Sethy
February 21, 2026
0

Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali addressed Max Verstappen’s recent comments hinting at retirement after the 2026 regulation...

Google

Google Employee Shares ‘Surreal’ Moment of Meeting Sundar Pichai at Gurgaon Office

February 21, 2026
Bhubaneswar Road Development

Bhubaneswar Road Development: Minister Announces Rs 150 Crore Repair Plan

February 21, 2026
Odisha Tourism Promotion

Odisha Unveils Multi-Pronged Tourism Promotion Plan

February 21, 2026
Congress

Delhi Police Calls AI Summit Shirtless Protest a ‘Conspiracy’; Seeks 5-Day Custody of Youth Congress Workers

February 21, 2026
Facebook Twitter Youtube RSS

ABOUT US

News, as it should be covered, has been the forte of Pragativadi over the years. And this has ensured a classy readership encompassing the who’s who of the state. The people who matter in Odisha, depend on Pragativadi. For opinion leaders, decision makers and people with surplus disposable income Pragativadi is a must.

Follow us on social media:

E-Library

Chayanika

Chayanika

by Yajati Rout
December 16, 2025
0

Unmesha

Unmesha

by Yajati Rout
December 16, 2025
0

News Calendar

February 2026
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
232425262728  
« Jan    

© 2025 Pragativadi

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • EPAPER
  • Odisha
  • Twin City
  • Politics
  • Crime
  • National
  • World
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Tech
  • E-Library
  • Photos
  • Quiz

© 2025 Pragativadi