Former Madhya Pradesh police officer Vivek Singh Chouhan is set to receive the President’s Medal for Gallantry for his role in a 2003 anti-dacoit operation, after the Centre informed the Supreme Court that the award has received presidential approval.
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told a bench of Justices Vikram Nath and Sandeep Mehta on Friday that the President had approved the prestigious award for Chouhan in recognition of his actions on June 24, 2003.
The Ministry of Home Affairs communicated the decision to the court on August 20, stating that the proposal had been examined under the applicable guidelines and approved by the President. The award will be formally notified in the Gazette of India.
Former cop was injured in 2003 operation
Chouhan was serving as the station house officer of Ghatigaon police station in Gwalior district when he received intelligence about the presence of dacoits in a village.
He led an operation against the group, during which two dacoits were killed. Chouhan was also injured during the encounter.
A magisterial inquiry later gave him a clean chit. Following the inquiry, authorities recommended his name for an out-of-turn promotion and the President’s Medal for Gallantry.
However, the award remained stuck amid years of litigation between the officer and the authorities.
How the gallantry award case reached SC
The Madhya Pradesh High Court directed the state government in 2018 to forward Chouhan’s name to the Centre for consideration of the award. The state subsequently recommended him in 2019.
The Ministry of Home Affairs rejected the claim later that year, leading to further litigation.
In December 2024, the high court directed the government to confer the gallantry award on Chouhan within a month. The Centre’s failure to comply eventually resulted in contempt proceedings.
The Union Home Secretary later approached the Supreme Court against the high court’s action.
SC had questioned Centre’s delay
The Supreme Court had expressed displeasure in July over the Centre’s failure to comply with the high court’s direction.
During Friday’s hearing, however, the Centre informed the apex court that the President had now approved the President’s Medal for Gallantry for Chouhan.
The bench recorded the development and said that, in view of the decision, the application before it did not require further consideration.
Chouhan’s counsel also told the court that the contempt proceedings pending before the high court would be withdrawn.
Dispute over the exact gallantry honour
The prolonged dispute also involved the distinction between different gallantry awards.
During the earlier contempt proceedings, the Centre had submitted that the President had approved a gallantry medal for Chouhan. The Madhya Pradesh High Court had found this insufficient, noting that the Gallantry Medal and President’s Gallantry Medal are separate honours.
The high court had observed that the President’s Gallantry Medal is a higher distinction, while the other gallantry award is conferred on a larger number of personnel.
With the latest presidential approval, the long-running dispute over Chouhan’s award appears to have reached its conclusion.
























