Vedanta Aluminium breaks into Dow Jones Sustainability Index 2021 Top 10 rankings
New Delhi: Vedanta Aluminium Business, India’s largest producer of aluminium and value-added products, secures 4th rank among global aluminium producers in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) family.
The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices are a family of best-in-class global benchmarks that track the performance of the world’s leading companies in terms of economic, environmental and social criteria. More than 10,000 companies across various industries undergo annual evaluations of their sustainability practices, which are both industry-specific and financially material, of which only top ranked companies within each industry are selected for inclusion in the DJSI family.
Speaking about Vedanta Aluminium’s vision, Mr Rahul Sharma, CEO – Aluminium Business, Vedanta Limited, said:
Vedanta Aluminium’s Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) rankings reflect our unrelenting focus on seamlessly integrating the principles of sustainability into the way we do business. We firmly believe that sustainable business practices form the bedrock for generating long-term value for our customers and communities, and lasting positive impact on the environment. This re-energises our commitment to achieve Net Zero Carbon by 2050.
Vedanta Aluminium’s approach to sustainability spans critical domains such as Energy and Climate Change Management, Water Management, Biodiversity Management, Air Quality and Emissions control, Health & Safety, Social Impact and Governance, etc. The company’s Sustainable Development Reports encapsulates its sustainability performance year on year and can be accessed on the company website: www.vedantaaluminium.com
Key highlights of the company’s sustainability performance in FY 2020-21 include:
- Operational excellence parameters for the production of aluminium
- Vedanta Aluminiumdistributed economic value to the tune of USD 4.19 billion
- Climate action initiatives have resulted in GHG emission intensity reduction by 21% at the Aluminium Business againstFY 2011-12 as baseline
- Towards decarbonization of operations, Vedanta Aluminium has set a target of achieving 24% reduction in GHG emissions intensity over 2012 baseline by FY 2025.
- Recycled 16.5 billion litres of water across operations
- 93% of mined out area rehabilitated as part of biodiversity management
- 308 Million Units of renewable power purchased for producing aluminium
- 1.4 Million GJ in energy savings through energy conservation efforts, resulting in equivalent GHG savings of 0.32 million tCO2e (tonnes of Carbon Dioxide equivalent)
- 118% of the generated ash utilized in avenues such as mine backfilling, raw material for cement and brick manufacturing, road construction, and low-lying area filling
- Deep interventions in community welfare dimensions of livelihood and skill development, women’s empowerment, quality education, health & sanitation, etc. improving lives of 5 lakh people hailing from local communities
- Since outbreak of COVID, Vedanta Aluminium has supported the local communities, district administrations, state governments, central government, with grocery supplies, PPEs, medical equipment, oxygen, financial contribution, and many other need-based requirements
Vedanta Aluminium Business, a division of Vedanta Limited, is India’s largest manufacturer of aluminium, producing over half of India’s aluminium i.e., 1.97 million tonnes in FY21. It is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. With its world-class aluminium smelters, alumina refinery and power plants in India, the company fulfils its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the ‘Metal of the Future’ for a greener tomorrow.