Washington: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said his country and the European Union have agreed to start a dialogue to discuss the threats posed by China.
Pompeo made the remarks during the Brussels Forum in a discussion with the German Marshal Fund.
Last week, European Union chief diplomat Josep Borrell had called for talks between Europe and the United States for forging a common transatlantic front against China.
During talks with 27 EU Foreign Ministers and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Borrell on June 15 had said the two sides should make common cause “to defend our values and our interest”.
During the Brussels Forum, Pompeo repeatedly mentioned “the threat of the Communist Party in China” and referred to “provocative military actions” of People’s Liberation Army (PLA), including “deadly border confrontations” with India.
Pompeo said that the behaviour of CCP is fundamentally putting the American people’s security at risk and stressed that the Donald Trump administration is the first in decades to take this threat seriously.