Two dead, 2 critical after consuming poisonous mushroom


Baripada: Two members of a family died while two other fell critically ill after allegedly consuming poisonous mushroom at Kainphulia village under Betnoti block in Mayurbhanj district.

The deceased have been identified as Phudan Majhi (37) and his sister-in-law Laxmi Majhi (35).

According to sources, some members of the family complained of vomiting and loose motion yesterday evening, following which a quack administered medicines and injections to them.

However, their health condition of four persons of the family worsened further and they were rushed to the Betnoti Community Health Centre (CHC) where doctors declared Phudan ‘brought dead’.

His sister-in-law, Laxmi died while undergoing treatment at the CHC in the wee hours today.

The deceased woman’s husband and son are stated to be critically ill and undergoing treatment at the Betanoti hospital.

While some locals claimed that the incident is the fall out of consuming wild mushroom, others suspect it to be a case of diarrhoea as reports of its outbreak in the nearby villages come to the fore.

The bodies have been sent for post-mortem, said the police, adding that the actual reason behind the death would be ascertained after receiving the autopsy report.

Meanwhile, a team of doctors reached the village this morning to take stock of the situation.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.