Try Nutrition Packed Multigrain Khichdi
New Delhi: This multigrain khichdi is full of healthy fibre, proteins, vitamins and essential minerals. It is an immunity booster for the body and the master recipe of natural cures! In health or in sickness, I can always enjoy a hearty bowl of this rice and lentil goodness.
Ingredients (1cup = 240ml; 1tbsp = 15ml; 1tsp = 5ml)
- ½ cup white sela rice
- ¼ cup brown rice
- ¾ cup arhar daal tuvar/ split pigeon pea lentils
- ¼ cup split black urad daal black gram split lentil
- 1 onion cut into strips
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 green chillies slit
- ½ cup moong dal sprouts (green gram sprouts)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt and red pepper powder to taste
- 1 tsp roasted flaxseed powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- Wash and soak all the rice and lentils in double the amount of water for at least 30 minutes. Brown rice and black gram lentils take longer to cook so it is better to soak them in hot water.
- Heat oil in a deep stockpot. Add cumin seeds. When the seeds start to crackle, add garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes till the garlic starts to turn brown.
- Next add onion, green chillies, turmeric, asafoetida, and salt. Mix well and let the onions sweat for about a couple of minutes.
- Drain the soaked rice and lentils and add to the pot. Mix well. Now add 4 cups of water and cook covered till there is a boil.
- Add moong dal sprouts, flaxseed powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well and cook covered for 10 minutes or till the rice and lentils are cooked through. Check for water in between and add more if required.
- To serve, garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve with a pickle of your choice and plain raita (yogurt spiced with cumin powder, salt, and paprika)
Comments are closed.