New Delhi: Jaggery (or gur) is made from unrefined sugar, and is obtained by boiling raw, concentrated sugar cane juice till it solidifies. Although jaggery is also made from the sap of coconut and date palm, the one made from sugar cane is the one that’s used most widely.
One of the best ways to bring the digestive system back on track is to include Gur/Jaggery in your everyday diet. Most of us aren’t aware but our digestive system tends to get disturbed for a number of reasons apart from the most common factors like indigestion, constipation, etc. So it becomes important that we monitor what we eat, how we feel about the food we eat, and how our bodies react to it. Once, we do this, it’s important to make the necessary changes in our diet.
15 Amazing Health Benefits Of Jaggery
1. Prevents constipation: Jaggery activates the digestive enzymes in the body, stimulates bowel movements, and thus helps prevent and relieve constipation. Constipation is a condition in which there is difficulty in emptying the bowels, usually associated with hardened feces. It also acts as a diuretic that can help stimulate bowel movement. A small piece of jaggery after lunch could kick-start digestion, which is key to good overall health.
2. Detoxes the liver: Jaggery is a natural body cleanser, further reducing the workload of the liver. Jaggery helps cleanse the liver by flushing out harmful toxins from the body, which further helps detoxify the liver. So if you want to effectively detox your body, bite into a piece of jaggery.
3. Treats flu-like symptoms: Fight symptoms of a cold and cough with the help of gur. All you need to do is mix it with warm water and drink up, or even add it to your tea instead of sugar to reap the benefits. Jaggery produces heat in the body, which is why generally people consume it in winters. The warming effect in jaggery makes it an amazing sweet that can treat cold and flu.
4. Blood purifier: One of the most well-known benefits of jaggery are its ability to purify the blood. When consumed on a regular basis and in limited quantities, it cleanses the blood, leaving your body healthy. Clean blood will mean a healthier body and will ensure that it is free from any disease.
5. Boosts immunity: Jaggery is loaded with antioxidants and minerals such as zinc and selenium, which in turn help prevent free-radical damage and also boost resistance against infections. Jaggery also helps increase the total count of hemoglobin in the blood.
6. Cleanses the body: Jaggery is one of the best natural cleansing agents for the body, hence it is advised to eat jaggery to remove unwanted particles from the body. It efficiently cleans the respiratory tract, lungs, intestines, stomach, and food pipe. Eating jaggery is highly recommended for people working in heavily polluted areas such as factories or coal mines.
7. Eases menstrual pain: Jaggery, due to its richness in many essential nutrients, is an effective natural treatment for menstrual problems, especially providing relief from cramps. In case you experience sudden mood swings just before your period, you should eat a small piece of jaggery daily to combat symptoms of PMS since it leads to the release of endorphins. These endorphins relax your body, thereby preventing premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
8. Prevents anemia: Jaggery is rich in iron and folate which help prevent anemia by ensuring that a normal level of red blood cells is maintained. This is especially beneficial for pregnant women. It ensures that a normal level of red blood cells is maintained. Moreover, it provides instant energy to the body.
9. Boosts intestinal health: Jaggery also boosts intestinal strength due to its high magnesium content. With every 10 grams of jaggery, you get 16 mg of magnesium, which is 4 percent of the daily requirement of this mineral.
10. Cools the stomach: Jaggery helps in maintaining normal body temperature which helps in keeping your stomach cool. Experts recommend drinking Gur Sharbat (jaggery soaked in ice-cold water) during the summer months to cool off.
11. Controls blood pressure: Jaggery contains potassium and sodium, which play an important role in the maintenance of acid levels in the body. It makes sure that a normal level of blood pressure is properly maintained.
12. Prevents respiratory problems: By consuming jaggery regularly, you can prevent many respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, etc. Experts recommend eating this natural sweetener with sesame seeds for wonderful benefits for the respiratory system.
13. Relieves joint pain: If you suffer from aches and pains in your joints, eating jaggery can provide you with much-needed relief. You can eat it with a piece of ginger to alleviate joint pain, or even drink a glass of milk with jaggery every day to help strengthen the bones, thus preventing joint and bone problems such as arthritis.
14. Weight loss: Jaggery is surprisingly effective as an aid for weight loss. This is because jaggery is a rich source of potassium, which is a mineral that helps in the balance of electrolytes as well as building muscles and boosting metabolism. So if you’re looking to lose some unwanted pounds, include this food in your diet.
15. Good source of energy: While sugar is a simple carbohydrate that gets absorbed in the bloodstream instantly and gives instant energy, jaggery is a complex carbohydrate that gives energy to the body gradually and for a longer time. This means that the levels of blood sugar do not get raised immediately. It also helps prevent fatigue and weakness of the body.