New Delhi: The health benefits of yams make them a good addition to one’s diet and there is no shortage of healthy recipes for yams. Let’s take a look at the magical vegetable’
- Yam looks like a tacky vegetable. It contains numerous health benefits, including:
- Yams are rich in fibers and resistant starch, which improves our gastric health and promotes good gut bacteria. Consuming them reduces appetite, so yam helps in weight loss.
- Yam contains a decent amount of vitamin B5, thiamine, folate, and vitamin C, which boost our immune system and are beneficial for growth and bone development.
- Yams are rich in many minerals, such as manganese, magnesium, and potassium, which are beneficial for bone health, decreasing cholesterol levels, and proper functioning of our heart.
- Daily consumption of yam increases estrogen hormones (especially estrone and estradiol), which helps ease post-menopausal symptoms in women.
- Yams contain a reasonable amount of antioxidants, which reduces the risk of many cancers.
- Yam is rich in anti-inflammatory agents and antioxidants, which help manage many chronic inflammatory conditions such as heart disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and stomach ulcers.