Bhubaneswar: Veteran politician Arun Jaitley, a brilliant strategist and one of the most trusted colleagues of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, breathed his last at AIIMS in New Delhi on Saturday. He was 66.
Jaitley was born on 28 December 1952 in the family of Maharaja Kishen Jaitley and Ratan Prabha Jaitley in New Delhi. On 24 May 1982, he married to Sangeeta Jaitley and has a son Rohan and a daughter Sonali.
Jaitley did his schooling at St. Xavier’s School, New Delhi from 1960 and graduated from Shri Ram College of Commerce. He completed his post-graduation in Law from the University of Delhi.
Here are some interesting facts about the politician:
- Jaitley held various political positions like Finance Minister, Minister of Defence, Minister of Corporate Affairs, Minister of Information and Broadcasting, Leader of Opposition, Rajya Sabha, Minister of Law and Justice, and Leader of the House, Rajya Sabha.
- During the proclamation of Internal Emergency (1975-77) civil liberties were suspended and Jaitley was also placed under preventive detention first in the Ambala Jail and then in the Tihar Jail, Delhi.
- When Arun Jaitley was the Finance Minister, Modi Government was able to take some crucial economic initiatives like demonetisation and implementation of the Goods and Service Tax (GST).
- He set up Advocates Welfare Fund and Investor Protection Fund.
- In the Delhi High Court, he was designated as a Senior Advocate in January 1990. In 1989, he was appointed as an Additional Solicitor General.