New Delhi: Cranberries are a low-key nutrient powerhouse. With just 50 calories and only 4 grams of sugar per cup, these berries are low in calories and sugar, especially when compared to other fruits.
Nutritional Benefits of Cranberry
- Cranberries are rich in nutrients like Vitamin C, Fiber, and Vitamin E.
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant blocks some of the damage caused by free radicals. It also helps in boosting immunity and building up resistance against infectious diseases. In old times sailors used to carry cranberries to avoid Scurvy.
- Intake of high fibers in high amounts significantly reduces the risk of coronary heart diseases, stroke, hypertension, diabetes, obesity, and some intestinal diseases. It also helps to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels, improve insulin sensitivity, and enhance weight loss for obese individuals.
- Vitamin E due to its antioxidant nature helps in preventing or delaying chronic diseases related to free radicals.
- Apart from this, cranberries also contain Vitamin K, manganese, and a large variety of phytonutrients which help prevent free radicals. They also have anti-inflammatory and cancer-preventing properties.
Health Benefits of Cranberry
Keeping health in consideration, cranberries due to their high nutrient and antioxidant content are often referred as Superfood. Half a cup of cranberries contains only 25 calories. There are several health benefits of cranberries like:
- They are good for the heart.
- They are fat-free, cholesterol-free, low in sodium, and a good source of dietary fiber.
- Cranberries are rich in the types of polyphenols associated with a reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes, and stroke.
- Cranberries contain flavonoids and other natural compounds that promote good health.
- Cranberry juice contains a high amount of salicylic acid which can help reduce swelling, prevent blood clots
- They are rich in antioxidants with an Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) score of 9,584 units per 100 g.
- Cranberries can be frozen for up to 1 year.