Bhubaneswar: In view of novel Coronavirus (nCov) outbreak in China and a few parts of the country, the Odisha Government on Saturday issued an advisory with precautionary measures.
A meeting was held under the chairmanship of Principal Secretary Health & Family Welfare department at the NHM Conference Hall here to review its preparedness for management of suspected/serious severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARISARI) in terms of surveillance, surveillance laboratory support, infection prevention control and logistics and in particular hospital preparedness-isolation, management of patients including ventilator management of critically ill.
Director of Public Health, Ajit Kumar Mohanty has directed the authorities of Cuttack SCB, Burla hospital, Capital hospital, CDMO/PHO of Jharsuguda, directors of Bhubaneswar Airport and Veer Surendra Sai Airport in Jharsuguda, CMO of Paradip Port Trust Hospital and GM of East Coast and South East Railway zones in the State to implement the following advisory at the earliest in public interest.
- Any travel-related cases reported to the community would be picked up and contact shall be followed up by the integrated disease surveillance program as per the interim guideline V1 (WHO) January 2020 (WHO/2019 nCoV/Surveillance/v2020.1)
- The Airport Authority of India based at Bhubaneswar & Jharsuguda will be requested to facilitate entry of screening & issue instruction for Airlines to follow the international Civil Aviation guideline for managing and notifying anybody reporting illness on flights originating from China & disembarking India directly or indirectly. Airport authority in those locations in Odisha will establish a screening centre and report the identification of such cases to the CDM & PHO of the districts and Director, Capital Hospital, Bhubaneswar in case of Biju Pattnaik International Airport.
- SCB Medical College & Hospital, Cuttack, VSS Medical College, Burla & Capital Hospital, Bhubaneswar will function as Nodal centres for isolation & treatment of such cases. The Superintendent of concerned MCH & the Director, Capital Hospital, Bhubaneswar / The District Headquarters Hospital, Jharsuguda will also function as the Nodal centres for isolation & management of cases reported to them. The Director, Capital hospital, Bhubaneswar/ The CDM & PHO, Jharsuguda will take urgent steps for preparedness by creating facility for special wards for isolation, treatment including ICU care. All the centres are advised to have 24 x 7 control room for monitoring of such cases.
- The treatment facilities in the hospitals will under function preferably the Pulmonary Medicine department/ Medicine when the Pulmonary Medicine is not available & the hospital will designate one faculty as Nodal officer for management of SARI. The services of the departments like Anesthesia, ENT, Microbiology, Pathology or any other departments can be availed as & when required. The superintendent/ The Director, Capital Hospital, Bhubaneswar may form a treatment committee for this purpose.
- The National Institute of Virology, Pune has been fully geared up the samples of the nCoV.
- Drugs & consumables etc. may be indented to the OSMCL and during non-availability of hospital stocks may be locally purchased to ensure free treatment under UHC.
- The DPH, Odisha will take steps for provision of extra Group D staffs required through the CDM & PHO/ Director, Capital, Hospital, Bhubaneswar.
- The Paradeep Port Trust Hospital, Paradeep & the railway authorities will be requested to create their own facilities for isolation & management of such cases as this condition is travel related.
- All concerned are advised for sending the daily health status of passengers under observation to the Director of Public Health, Odisha, Bhubaneswar in prescribed proforma issued on 24.01.2020. (Email id: firstname.lastname@example.org).