Bhubaneswar: Odisha Government on Friday asked the civic bodies to make necessary provision for feeding the stray animals in urban and semi urban areas during COVID-19 lockdown period.
G Mathi Vathanan, Principal Secretary to Government, Housing & Urban Development Department, has written a letter to all the Municipal Commissioners of Municipal Corporations and Executive Officers of all Municipalities/NACs in this regard.
The Principal Secretary stated that due to the resurgence of COVID-19 pandemic resulting in lockdown in the State till 19th May 2021, thousands of stray animals in the state will have a hard time for finding food leading to starvation and other consequential issues.
Therefore, the state government has decided to direct all ULBs in the State to make necessary provision of food for the stray animals during the lockdown period.
The ULBs have been advised to meet the expenditures out of the funds available with them from various sources including own source revenue or subject to recoupment from SRC/CMRF sources.
Following are details of the admissibility of expenditure:-
- To provide food to stray dogs/animals in urban areas to prevent starvation.
- To ensure welfare of stray dogs/animals.
- To minimise the aggressive behaviour of the stray dogs/animals due to starvation.
- ULBs may co-opt and partner with organisations working for animal welfare in their ULBs.
- Only in case of non-availability of such organisation, the ULBs can do this with in house resources or Mission Shakti Groups/Federations.
- Priority for partnering with such organisations or Group of Volunteers with credentials.
- It may also be considered to involve the local level Officers/ officers of Fisheries and ARD Department.
The Principal Secretary further requested the ULBs to take up the feeding of stray animals immediately as per the mentioned modalities.