Mission Shakti Mela Kicks Off In Bhubaneswar
Bhubaneswar: Promoting products prepared by Mission Shakti Self Help Groups across the state, the Directorate of Mission Shakti under the Department of Women & Child Development and Mission Shakti is organising a state-level mega exhibition for the first time named ‘Mission Shakti Mela’ from 5th December to 16th December 2019 at the IDCO Exhibition Ground, Unit – III, Bhubaneswar. This Mela has 213 numbers of stalls for display and sale of various handloom, handicraft, non-timber forest produces (NTFP), food items, spices, and non-farm products.
Mission Shakti Mela is a unique initiative by the Government to extend a platform to the women SHG producers and Producer Groups (PGs) to display and sell their wide range of products through this exhibition. This will not only help urban consumers gain knowledge and access diversified and unique SHG products at Bhubaneswar, but also enable rural and urban women producers to showcase their products, develop market linkage and further refine their produce as per the current consumer preferences.
Mission Shakti has been a revolutionary initiative started in the year 2001 by Government of Odisha with the aim to empower women across the state, both rural as well as urban. It endeavours to provide sustainable livelihood solutions to women SHGs and PGs with a view to enable them to generate a long term and sustainable income source.
Mission Shakti Mela was inaugurated by Smt. Tukuni Sahu, Honourable Minister, Women & Child Development & Mission Shakti on 5th December 2019 at 6 pm. Honourable Minister also launched the Mission Shakti Mela Mobile Application in presence of Dr. LopamudraBaxipatra, Advisor, Mission Shakti; Sri Suresh Chandra Mahapatra, Development Commissioner cum Additional Chief Secretary; Smt.
Anu Garg, Principal Secretary, Department of W & CD & Mission Shakti; Smt. Sujata R Karthikeyan, Commissioner-cum-Director, Directorate of Mission Shakti and Sri Rajesh Prabhakar Patil, Director (Special Projects)-cum-Director, NRLM & Chief Executive Officer, ORMAS.
- 213 stalls offering a wide variety of rural products -handloom, handicraft, NTFP, food items, spices and non-farm products.
- Nearly 200 varieties of products made by women to be displayed for sale.
- More than 500 women members of 262 women SHGs and PGs across 30 districts of Odisha participating with their produce
- For the first time, uniform packaging with attractive branding has been adopted at the Mission Shakti Mela. The food-grade poly pouches have been prepared strictly adhering to the Government regulations.
- Extending an interactive learning platform to WSHGs and PGs during the Mela, ‘Meet the Expert’ learning & experience sharing sessions have been planned in morning hours in association with reputed organizations such as NIFT, ORMAS, RSETI etc.
- Mission Shakti Mela Mobile Application launched to provide updated information to visitors on location of stalls, products and other amenities available at the exhibition ground.
- A vibrant Selfie Corner to imprint the visitors’ sweet memory of Mission Shakti Mela. This will serve as a point of attraction for attendees at the Mela.
- An inspiring event celebrating women empowerment in Odisha.