Bhubaneswar/New Delhi: Eminent litterateur from Odisha, Manoj Das has been conferred Padma Bhushan, the country’s third-highest civilian award. Besides, eight others from Odisha, including a father-daughter duo, will receive the prestigious Padma Shri award on the 71st Republic Day celebrations.
The Central Government today announced the names of 141 Padma awardees including four duo cases. The list comprises 7 Padma Vibhushan, 16 Padma Bhushan and 118 Padma Shri Awards. Also, the list includes 18 persons from the category of Foreigners/NRI/PIO/OCI and 12 Posthumous awardees.
Padma Shri awardees from Odisha are:
- Dr. Damayanti Beshra – Literature and Education;
- Utsav Charan Das – Art;
- Mitrabhanu Gountia – Art;
- Manmohan Mahapatra – (posthumous) Art;
- Binapani Mohanty – Literature and Education;
- Radha Mohan and Sabarmatee – Agriculture; (In a duo case, the award is counted as one)
- Batakrushna Sahoo – Animal Husbandry.
The Padma Shri Awards are the highest civilian awards of the country after the Bharat Ratna. The final list of names of the awardees is announced by the government on January 25, on the eve of Republic Day.