Know How To Manage Insomnia
New Delhi: We live in a golden age of sleeplessness. The buzz of the all-night streetlamps, the natter of 24-hour news anchors, the scrolling Niagaras of social media feeds have built a world that is hostile to sleep. The night is no longer clearly delineated from the day. The bedroom is no longer a refuge from the office. The physical and psychic walls that once held back the tides of work and social interaction have failed.
Insomnia is a sleep disorder in which you have trouble falling and staying asleep. It may cause you to wake too early and not able to get back to sleep. You may still feel tired when you wake up.
Insomnia symptoms may include:
- Difficulty falling asleep at night
- Waking up during the night
- Waking up too early
- Not feeling well-rested after the night sleep
- Daytime tiredness or sleeplessness
- Irritability, depression, or anxiety
- Difficulty paying attention, focusing on tasks, or remembering
- Increased errors or accidents
- Ongoing worries about sleep
If you are suffering from insomnia there are some steps you can start to change your sleep habits, lifestyle, daily routine it will help you to get better sleep. Here are some tips on how you can beat insomnia. Good sleep habits can help prevent insomnia and promote sound sleep:
- Keep your bedtime and wake time consistent from day to day, including weekends.
- Stay active. Regular activity helps promote a good night’s sleep. Try some yoga poses for better sleep.
- Check your medications to see if they may contribute to insomnia.
- Avoid or limit naps during the daytime.
- Avoid or limit caffeine and alcohol, and don’t use nicotine.
- Avoid large meals and beverages before bedtime.
- Make your bedroom comfortable for sleep. Your mattress pillow should be comfortable. The room temperature should be normal.
- Create a relaxing bedtime ritual, such as taking a warm bath, reading or listening to soft music, and practice meditation. It will relax your mind and body.
- Limit your screen time. Leave your cell phone for an hour.
- Stop overthinking at night. It will over-activate your brain.
There are so many relaxation techniques and stress reduction methods. You can practice them. Some therapies like cognitive behavior therapy help to manage insomnia. It identifies and corrects inappropriate thoughts and beliefs that may contribute to insomnia.