When you are buying something on Amazon, do you see those products that appear as suggestions down below? Those product recommendations are made to customers by machine learning. Self-driving cars, digital voice assistants, robots, chatbots – these are real-life examples of artificial intelligence. There will be more such advancements in the field of machine learning and artificial intelligence in 2021. Artificial intelligence and machine learning will transform the way the world lives and works. It is said that by 2060, artificial intelligence could start performing nearly all tasks that a human can perform – and do it much better.
Artificial intelligence and machine learning are being used in every industry and sector possible – be it healthcare, security, manufacturing, production, retail, or fashion. According to a report by Gartner, artificial intelligence will create close to 2.3 million jobs by 2021. Hence, the demand for machine learning and artificial intelligence professionals will be huge. Starting your career in machine learning and artificial intelligence in 2021 is the best option right now.
There are various career paths that you can take up in this field. Some artificial intelligence and machine learning jobs include data scientist, artificial intelligence engineer, business intelligence developer, machine learning engineer, and research scientist.
To begin your career in the field of ML and AI, these are some steps that you can follow –
- If you are a fresher:
- Get a bachelor’s degree – If you are a fresher, you can get a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, finance, economics, or mathematics, and statistics. You can get an entry-level position in AI or ML after pursuing your bachelor’s degree.
- Get a master’s degree – To enhance your skills further and to get a higher position in artificial intelligence or machine learning, you can get a master’s degree or a doctorate in this field.
- If you are a working professional:
- Get Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning professional certifications – If you are a working professional looking to switch from your current domain to the field of artificial intelligence and machine learning, you need to possess technical skills such as a working knowledge of programming languages like Java, R and Python, knowledge of calculus, statistics and linear algebra, natural language processing skills, as well as industry knowledge, analytical skills, creative thinking skills, problem-solving skills, and communication skills. You can pursue Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning courses to enhance these skills. These certifications can give the required boost to your resume and make it more attractive and credible for employers.
- Work on live projects:
Whether you are a computer science student or a working IT professional, working on live projects is essential if you want to launch your career in machine learning and artificial intelligence. By working on projects, you can apply and practice the theoretical concepts that you have already learned. This makes you ready to work on complex data science and machine learning problems. It also has a huge impact on employers.
Now that we have learned about some prerequisites that need to be fulfilled before starting your career in artificial intelligence and machine learning, here are some of the most popular job roles in the field that can be a good place to start from –
- Data Scientist
A data scientist is a professional who collects, analyzes, and interprets huge amounts of data. Data scientists use algorithms developed by machine learning engineers and gain insights from raw data that are helpful to an organization in making strategic decisions. To begin your career in artificial intelligence and machine learning, the job role of a data scientist is a great entry point. You would need to possess skills such as knowledge of programming languages (SQL, R, Python, etc.), SAS, and other big data tools and techniques. The average salary of a data scientist in 2021 is around $113,000 per year.
- Business Intelligence Developer
Another great entry point towards a career in AI or ML is the job role of a business intelligence developer. Their responsibility is to identify the latest market and business trends from complex data sets. They also model, design, and maintain data in cloud-based platforms. Apart from the above-mentioned skills, a business intelligence developer should also have some experience in business intelligence technologies, data mining, and data warehouse designing. A business intelligence developer can expect to earn around $75,000 per year.
- Machine learning engineer
The most sought-after job position in the artificial intelligence and machine learning industry is that of a machine learning engineer. They are responsible for the application of predictive models and natural language processing to large data sets. In 2021, the average salary of a machine learning engineer is around $150,000 per annum.
- Research Scientist
To become a research scientist, one needs to be skilled in various areas of artificial intelligence and machine learning, such as applied mathematics and computational statistics. They should also possess knowledge of data representation, natural language processing, graphical modes, and reinforcement learning. The average salary of a research scientist is close to $100,000.
- Big Data Architect
The role of a big data architect is to develop an ecosystem wherein business systems are able to communicate and organize data. As compared to a data scientist, the role of a big data architect can feel more engaging as they are responsible for planning, designing, and the development of big data environments. Their average salary per annum is around $150,000.
If you are planning to launch your career in machine learning and artificial intelligence in 2021, then you should first acquire the necessary skills such as knowledge of programming languages, various tools, and techniques as well as knowledge in statistics, mathematics, and economics. You can further enhance your profile by getting different certifications in artificial intelligence and machine learning. Post that, you can start your career by taking up an entry-level position as a data scientist or a machine learning engineer and go forward from there.