Shimla: BJP slowly moves towards victory in the hill state of Himachal Pradesh.
- According to the latest trends from the Himachal Pradesh at 12:10 pm, BJP is ahead in 44 seats, Congress leads in 20 and other parties and independents are leading in 4.
- Early trends showed the ruling Congress and the BJP neck and neck in Himachal Pradesh, before the saffron party gained a marginal lead.
- Chief minister Virbhadra Singh was leading in Arki. Ahead of the polls, he had vacated his Shimla (rural) seat in favour of his son Vikramaditya Singh and filed nomination papers from Solan’s Arki constituency
18 December 2017, 12:51 PM
- Union Minister Smriti Irani says, “It is a matter of happiness for us, this is the victory of development.” When asked if Congress is giving the BJP a tough fight, she adds, “jo jeeta wohi sikandar. It is victory of every booth worker’s hard work and the people who trusted development”.
18 December 2017, 12:42 PM
- The CPM has registered a victory in Theog constituency; its candidate Rakesh Singha, won 24,564 votes, beating BJP candidate Rakesh Verma and Congress’ Deepak Rathore. Theog was the bastion of veteran Congress leader Vidya Stokes, whose nomination was rejected.
18 December 2017, 12:29 PM
- In Anni constituency, BJP’s Kishori Lal beats Congress’ Paras Ram by 5,983 votes.
18 December 2017, 12:28 PM
- BJP’s candidate Suresh Bhardwaj defeats Independent candidate Harish Janartha in Shimla seat by 1,903 votes
18 December 2017, 12:22 PM
- Reacting to the BJP’s win in Himachal, UP CM Yogi Adityanath congratulated PM Modi and BJP chief Amit Shah.
The Congress and the BJP contested in all the 68 constituencies. A total of 37,83,580 people voted in the hill state — a record 75.28 per cent polling.
Most exit polls had indicated the BJP’s return to power with an absolute majority.
Exit polls initially predicted a clean sweep for BJP, replacing the Congress regime in the hill state. How accurate will be the projections? The fate of 337 candidates, including 19 women, will be clear by today afternoon.