Fresh Videos Of Missing Chinese Tennis Star Peng Shuai Surfaces Amid Global Outcry

0 10

Beijing: Fresh videos of missing tennis star Peng Shuai were posted by Chinese state media on Sunday morning, amid growing global pressure for Beijing to provide verifiable evidence of her whereabouts and safety.

The latest footage, released by Hu Xijin, editor-in-chief of state newspaper the Global Times, appears to show the player being introduced at a youth tennis match in Beijing. Hu said on Twitter – a platform that is officially banned in China – that the footage was taken on Sunday but this claim could not be verified.

A Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) spokesperson said the latest footage was “insufficient” and still did not address the association’s concerns about her wellbeing.

In one of two videos posted on Twitter by Hu Xijin, the outspoken editor of the Global Times newspaper, the 35-year-old appears to be walking into a restaurant wearing a coat, knit cap and face mask.

In the other video clip, Peng — a two-time Grand Slam doubles champion — is maskless sitting at a table chatting with people over a meal.

Peng has not been seen publicly since alleging earlier this month that former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli, now in his 70s, had “forced” her into sex during an on-off relationship spanning several years.

The claims, made on Chinese social media site Weibo, were quickly scrubbed from the Twitter-like platform and Peng’s whereabouts have been a mystery ever since.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

seventeen − 15 =

Breaking