Kandhamal: Five members of a family including three children were injured after a fire broke out in their house at Gerupada under Phiringia police limits of Kandhamal district late on Tuesday night.
The victims have been identified as Arun Behera, his wife Belamati Behera and their three minor children including two sons and a daughter.
According to sources, the mishap occurred last night while the woman along with her husband and three children was fast asleep. The fire that erupted in one room engulfed the entire house in a few minutes. Spotting smoke emanating from the house, locals and neighbours rushed to help them.
On being informed, fire tenders also reached the spot and doused the flames. However, the family members sustained burn injuries by then and were immediately admitted to a local hospital.
The injured were referred to Berhampur hospital. While the exact reason behind the mishap is yet to be ascertained, it is suspected that an electrical short circuit might have triggered the flames.