Mumbai: At least 13 COVID patients were charred to death after a fire broke out at Vijay Vallabh Covid Care hospital in Virar West on Friday morning.
The fire broke out inside the ICU ward of the hospital, where 17 patients were admitted. A short circuit is believed to have caused the fire at 3:15 AM today.
Firefighters from the Vasai Virar Municipal Corporation put out the fire within an hour.
Several patients have been shifted to other hospitals.
The incident comes as Maharashtra battles the second wave of coronavirus and witnesses an unprecedented surge in infections. Over 67,000 fresh cases have been reported since yesterday. With a total caseload of over 40 lakh infections, Maharashtra is the worst-hit state in the country by the pandemic.