New Delhi: Pistachio Phirni is a popular North Indian dessert. Phirni is made with rice, milk and sugar, and has a wonderful creamy texture. Ingredients are the same as Rice Kheer but the taste is very different. This is an easy recipe to make.
- 3 tbsp rice
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1.5 tbsp pistachio nuts
- Few strands Saffron
- Wash and soak rice for 1 hour. When it is soaked, discard water and grind it coarsely in a mixer jar adding 2 tbsp of milk.
- Add milk to a pot and boil it. Simmer it for another 10 minutes. Now add rice paste to it and keep stirring continuously. Make sure that there are no lumps formed in the milk. Again Simmer it for 15 more minutes.
- Soak pistachio in warm water for 30 minutes and then prepare a paste out of it.
- When rice is cooked, add sugar, saffron, and pistachio paste to the milk. Lower the flame and simmer it for another 20 minutes. When phirni is cooled down, it will be a little thicker keep that in mind and turn off the heat.
- Let the phirni cool down at room temperature. Now transfer it to a bowl and refrigerate it for 3 to 4 hours. You can even divide it into individual serving bowls. At the time of serving, serve chilled phirni garnished with some slivers of pistachio.