Madrid: Sergio Perez will return for Racing Point at this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix after testing negative for coronavirus.
His team said on Thursday that governing body FIA cleared him to return to the paddock for the race in Montmelo on the outskirts of Barcelona.
The 30-year-old Mexican has missed the past two races at Silverstone after contracting Covid-19 last month.
Perez tested positive for the virus after travelling to Mexico, one of the world’s coronavirus hotspots, to visit his mother after she had an accident.
He was replaced by German Nico Hulkenberg, who now stands down.
Racing Point said that Perez had tested negative for Covid-19 and governing body the FIA had confirmed he could return to the Formula 1 paddock.
He was the first F1 driver to contract coronavirus.
Racing Point have also confirmed they will appeal against their punishment in F1’s “copying” controversy.