New Delhi: The Ministry of Health & Family Welfare on Monday issued revised guidelines for home isolation of very mild/pre-symptomatic COVID-19 cases.
Instructions for care-given
- Mask: The caregiver should wear a triple layer medical mask appropriately when in the same room with the ill person. Front portion of the mask should not be touched or handled during use. If the mask gets wet or dirty with secretions. it must be changed immediately. Discard the mask after usc and perform hand hygiene after disposal of the mask.
- He/she should avoid touching own face, nose or mouth.
- Hand hygiene must be ensured following contact with ill person or his immediate environment.
- Hand hygiene should also be practiced before and after preparing food, before eating. after using the toilet, and whenever hands look dirty. Use soap and water for hand washing at least for 40 seconds. Alcohol-based hand rub can be used, if hands are not visibly soiled.
- After using soap and water. use of disposable paper towels to dry hands is desirable. If not available, use dedicated clean cloth towels and replace them when they become wet.
- Exposure to patient: Avoid direct contact with body fluids of the patient. particularly oral or respiratory secretions. Use disposable gloves while handling the patient. Perform hand hygiene before and after removing gloves.
- Avoid exposure to potentially contaminated items in his immediate environment (e.g. avoid sharing cigarettes. eating utensils, dishes, drinks used towels or bed linen).
- Food must be provided to the patient in his room
- Utensils and dishes used by the patient should be cleaned with soap/detergent and water wearing gloves. The utensils and dishes may be re-used. Clean hands after taking off gloves or handling used items.
- Use triple layer medical mask and disposable gloves while cleaning or handling surfaces. clothing or linen used by the patient. Perform hand hygiene before and after removing gloves.
- The care giver will make sure that the patient follows the prescribed treatment.
- The care giver and all close contact will self-monitor their health with daily temperature monitoring and report promptly if they develop any symptom suggestive of COVID-I9 (feverfoougWdifficulty in breathing)
Instructions for the patient
- Patient should at all times use triple layer medical mask. Discard mask after 8 hours of use or earlier if they become wet or visibly soiled.
- Mask should be discarded only after disinfecting it with I% Sodium Hypo-chlorite.
- Patient must stay in the identified room and away from other people in home, especially elderlies and those with co-morbid conditions like hypertension. cardiovascular disease, renal disease etc.
- Patient must take rest and drink lot of fluids to maintain adequate hydration
- Follow respiratory etiquettes all the time.
- Hands must be washed often with soap and water for at least 40 seconds or clean with alcohol based sanitizer.
- Don’t share personal items with other people.
- Clean surfaces in the room that are touched often (tabletops. door knobs, handles. etc) with I% hypochlorite solution.
- The patient must strictly follow the physician’s instructions and medication advice.
- The patient will self-monitor hisTher health with daily temperature monitoring and report promptly if develops any deterioration of symptom as detailed below.