Centre Issues Guidelines For COVID Patients On Use Of Oximeter
New Delhi: The Centre has shared an eight-step guideline for COVID patients on how to check the oxygen level.
Here are the steps:
- Before placing your finger inside the oximeter, remove nail polish, false nails etc., and warm your hand by rubbing against each other, if it’s cold.
- Before taking the measurement, one should rest for at least five minutes.
- Rest your hand on your chest at heart level and hold it still.
- Then switch on the oximeter and place it on either the middle or the index finger.
- The reading may fluctuate. Wait for it to be stable. Keep the oximeter in place for at least a minute or longer if the reading is not stable.
- Record the highest result once it has not changed for five seconds.
- Identify each recording carefully.
- Start recording from baseline and record three times a day at the same time.
— MyGovIndia (@mygovindia) April 24, 2021
Covid-19 patients have also been asked to take a 6-minute walk test in which one should check the oxygen level before and after six minutes of walking inside the room. If there is a fluctuation of 4 per cent or more, then hospital admission may be required.
For better oxygenation at home, the Centre has also asked Covid-19 patients ti try self proning where one has to lie face down with the support of 4-5 pillows.