Bhadrak: A woman was charred to death while her husband suffered serious burn injuries after a major fire broke out at a house in Serapur village under Bhadrak Rural police limits.
The deceased has been identified as Sarojini Parida.
According to sources, the incident occurred this morning when the woman was busy in cooking food. Meanwhile, a fire ensued in the house due to an electrical short-circuit. As a result, the house caught fire.
The locals on the spotting the blaze tried to rescue the woman and her husband trapped in the house. However, the woman died after being unable to escape from the blaze while her husband sustained critical injuries.
Three rooms of the house were completely destroyed in the mishap while properties worth lakhs reduced to ashes.
On being informed, fire personnel rushed to the spot and doused the flames.