New Delhi: Kariwari Chicken Curry is named after the city Karwaris inspired by the coastal flavours of the coconut. The chicken is marinated in a paste made of red chillies, coriander seeds, and garlic and later on cooked in spicy and aromatic masalas.
Ingredients of Kariwari Chicken Curry
- 1 Kg Chicken
- Fresh coconut (Grated)
- 2 large Onions (Sliced)
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 10 Peppers
- 10 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1-inch Cinnamon
- Small Piece Of Nutmeg
- 15 Dry Red Chillies (Bedgi variety, if available)
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 10 cloves Garlic
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2 Onion (Finely Chopped)
How to Make Kariwari Chicken Curry
1. Roast the chillies, coriander seeds and the garlic with a little oil for 2 minutes and once it cools down grind it to a fine paste.
2. Apply this paste to the chicken and marinate for at least half an hour.
3. Roast the coconut and onion in the same pan with little oil until light brown in colour.
4. Roast the rest of the spices gently till they release their aroma, cool down to room temperature and grind to a fine paste along with the roasted coconut and onions.
5. Heat oil in a vessel, add the finely chopped onions, and sauté till they turn translucent.
6. Add the marinated chicken and fry for 5 minutes until the oils are released.
7. Add the ground coconut-onion paste, and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the chicken, the coconut onion masala, and the spices come together.
8. Add 1 litre of water, salt, cover, and cook on a slow flame till the chicken is cooked. The consistency of this gravy can be made to your liking.