Bahamas: Bahamas emergency services have listed 2,500 people as missing after Hurricane Dorian struck the islands last week.
Bodies are still being found in the Bahamas more than a week after Hurricane Dorian hit Grand Bahama Island and the Abaco Islands.
Hubert Minnis, the prime minister of the Bahamas, has said the natural disaster will leave “generational devastation.”
The Bahamas’ National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Wednesday said its official list of missing people totalled some 2,500, in the wake of the worst hurricane in the islands’ history.
However, the figure is tentative with many of those on the list likely to be evacuees from the islands or staying in shelters.
NEMA spokesman Carl Smith said it would be possible to reunite some survivors with loved ones as soon as information had been cross-referenced.
The official death toll is 50, which is expected to rise. The loss of life so far has been particularly high on the Abaco Islands, where the community of Marsh Harbour was largely demolished.
The Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency says some 15,000 people are still in need of shelter or food. About 5,000 have been evacuated from the hardest-hit islands, according to a report from the UN World Food Programme.
Lawmakers as both state and federal level had asked US President Donald Trump to grant the special status to islanders. TPS allows foreign nationals whose home countries have been impacted by natural disaster or war to live and work in the US. The TPS program is designed to prevent foreign nationals from being deported back to countries facing civil unrest or the aftermath of a devastating natural disaster.
However, the United States does not plan to invoke temporary protected immigration status for Bahamians after the archipelago was battered by a Category 5 hurricane.
Notably, Hurricane Dorian slammed into the northern Bahamas more than a week ago, with winds reaching 295 kilometres per hour (185 mph) causing widespread devastation.