Gajapati: As many as 70 girl students were taken ill after consuming food in the hostel of Tabarasingh Sebashram School in G Udaygiri block of Gajapati district late on Thursday night.
As per sources, inmates of the hostel consumed rice and dal in dinner last night. However, a few hours later, they complained of uneasiness and nausea. Following this, the authorities rushed them to the district headquarters hospital in Paralakhemundi.
The doctors have stated that the students fell ill due to food poisoning. The health condition of the students is stated to be stable. Gajapati Collector Anupam Shah also visited the hospital this morning and took stock of the situation, sources said.
If sources are to be believed, a cook was earlier served with transfer notice following his dispute with other staff over some issue.
Though the exact reason behind the incident of food poisoning is still unknown, a probe has been launched to find out any kind of involvement of the transferred cook, sources said.