New Delhi: A healthy heart needs a healthy lifestyle. The progressive buildup of plaque in the arteries makes heart disease so deadly, which narrows the inner walls, restricting and ultimately blocking the flow of blood.
Arteries are the blood vessels that deliver oxygen-rich blood from the heart to different tissues in the body. When plaque builds up and blood flow becomes inhibited, these clogged or blocked arteries can lead to more serious problems such as heart attack, stroke, and other cardiovascular diseases.
1.Turmeric: Turmeric contains curcumin. It is because of this property that turmeric reduces inflammation which causes hardening of the arteries. This condition is called atherosclerosis and is very dangerous. Therefore, turmeric works in the favour of lowering inflammation in the arteries. This inflammation can be due to many factors like unhealthy food habits.
2. Orange: A study published by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that consuming oranges helps to lower the resting blood pressure. This is because oranges contain antioxidants which help improve blood vessel function. Oranges also contain fiber pectin which lowers cholesterol. The vitamin C present in oranges help strengthens the arteries and does not lead to blockages.
3. Pomegranate: Another popular food for cleansing our arteries, pomegranate is extremely useful for preventing blockages in the arteries. This is because pomegranate contains phytochemicals. The antioxidants present in pomegranate stimulate the production of nitric oxide which consequently helps in blood flow and helps keep the arteries open.
4. Broccoli: Foods rich in fiber are known to lower blood pressure and keep cholesterol problems at bay. Broccoli is loaded with vitamin K, which helps in preventing hardening of the arteries. Broccoli also lubricates the arterial walls. It is also beneficial for bone formation.
5. Coffee: Coffee contains caffeine, which can help improve your heart health. However, it is better to stick to coffee in moderation only. Drinking four cups of coffee every day is ideally advised.
6. Whole grain: Whole grains like bajra, jowar, bajra, and ruttu are some of the whole grains available in India. Whole grains contain soluble fiber which helps in lowering cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
7. Fatty fish: Fatty fish includes fish like Salmon which are high in omega-3. To cut bad fat in the body, we need good fat. In order to stimulate this process so that our arteries do not get blocked due to unhealthy food items, consumption of good fats like omega-3 is necessary.
8. Green tea: Foods and liquids rich in antioxidants are extremely useful if you wish to take care of your heart. Antioxidants help fight radicals. Green tea is helpful in decreasing cholesterol in your body and gets it to a healthier level. Sipping two cups everyday will be beneficial.
9. Olive oil: As mentioned before, good fats are needed to cut bad fats. Olive oil contains monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, both of which are great for lowering cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
10. Cinnamon: Another powerful antioxidant, cinnamon along with water or tea everyday can help you keep heart diseases at bay. This is because cinnamon eradicates the issue of blockages in the arteries.