New Delhi: The Supreme Court today has banned the entry of firecrackers in Delhi-NCR for Dussehra and Diwali and put a cap on temporary licences for selling firecrackers in Delhi. It said that the existing stock of firecrackers was more than enough for 2017 and there cannot be more than 500 temporary licenses in the region.
The apex court also called for a committee to be chaired by the Chairperson of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) on the matter of a ban on firecrackers. The committee will have to submit a report by 31 December, 2017, to the Supreme Court.
In an August 28 ruling, the Supreme Court had said, “You have more firecrackers than the Indian Army. This can burn the whole country.” The Court was informed that 50 lakh kgs of fireworks were stocked in and around the National Capital Region (NCR).
Earlier in 2016, the SC had banned the sale of firecrackers in Delhi-NCR in an attempt to keep the rising pollution level of the capital and its surrounding areas under check.