Bhubaneswar: The Odisha Cabinet today approved the Food and Procurement Policy for Khariff Marketing Season (KMS) for 2017-18 which will commence from 1st October 2017 and conclude on September 30, 2018. The Cabinet approval will regulate all aspects of paddy and rice procurement during the ensuing KMS.
Notably, the state government procures paddy during Khariff and Rabi seasons separately with the KMS. Paddy is procured from farmers by payment of Minimum Support prices (MSP)and thereafter it is milled through custom millers. The rice so obtained is pumped into state’s Public Distribution System (PDS) and the surplus rice is delivered to central poor through the Food Corporation of India (FCI).
The chief features of the approved policy are as follows:
- A tentative target of 36 lakh metric tonne in terms of rice has been fixed (in terms of paddy this comes to around 53 lakh metric tonne). The target is for entire KMS covering Kharif and Rabi procurement. There is no bar for procurement of any higher quantum if more paddy comes to mandis from registered farmers as per the Food and Procurement Policy.
- The Minister of Food Supplies and Consumer Welfare has been authorized to revise this target if the need so arises.
- In KMS 2015-16 and 2016-17 paddy to the tune of 50.7 LMT and 54.27 LMT was procured respectively. This includes both Kharif and Rabi paddy. In terms of rice it is 34.44 LMT and 36.80 LMT.
- Khariff paddy will be procured during the period from November, 2017 to April, 2018 and Rabi paddy during May and June, 2018.
- Paddy will be procured from farmers who are registered in the online portal of PS&CW Department. Farmer will have to provide plot details along with Aadhaar Number for their registration. Plot details will be verified by integration with Bhulekh.