Bhubaneswar: A massive fire broke out at a biscuit factory in Infocity area here on Monday. While no loss of life or injury was reported, assets worth crores of rupees were gutted in the inferno. Firefighters attributed the cause of fire to electric short circuit.
The intensity of the fire was so massive that the firefighters took over 10 hours to douse the flame. Sources said the fire mishap occurred around 3 am. Nobody was present in the factory when the incident occurred, police said. Owing to absence of adequate entry and exit points at the mishap site, the fire brigade mobilized bulldozers to demolish the plant’s walls to spray water.
Officials of the factories and boilers directorate rushed to the spot and sealed the area. “We will conduct an inquiry to find out the cause of the mishap. We will also find out whether the company adopted adequate safety measures to deal with hazardous situations. The plant will not be allowed to operate untill our inquiry is over,” said deputy director (safety) of factories and boilers Malay Kumar Pradhan.