PRAGATIVADI:LEADING ODIA DAILY

Breaking News


Latest News Update

Ishrat Jahan case: SC allows Gujarat gov to accept DGP Pandey’s offer to quit

Ishrat Jahan

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday allowed the Gujarat government to accept the resignation offer of DGP PP Pandey, who is an accused in the Ishrat Jahan case.

The police officer wrote a letter expressing his willingness to step down forthwith if the state government so desired.

The top court said that since Pandey had already offered his resignation, the Gujarat government accepting it would bring an end to his term. Pandey, who is out on bail in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case, had been granted an extension until April 30.

The SC bench of Chief Justice J S Khehar and D Y Chandrachud recorded that Pandey, in the letter, expressed willingness to step down and urged the state government to revoke the notification appointing him till April 30.

Former top cop Julio Ribeiro’s counsel Kapil Sibal had challenged Pandey’s extension in the Supreme Court, saying he was accused of murder.

19-year-old Ishrat Jahan and three others were killed in an alleged fake encounter in Gujarat in June 2004. The Gujarat Police said they were Lashkar terrorists and were in Gujarat to assassinate the then Chief Minister Narendra Modi.

Comments

Most Popular

To Top