Bhubaneswar: A portion of an under-construction flyover in the densely populated Bomikhal area of Bhubaneswar collapsed on Sunday afternoon killing 1 person with around 15 people injured.
The deceased died on the spot, has been identified as Satya Patnaik (40), a resident of Jharpada area was returning back home carrying his daughter Sheetal (10) from her dance class on a motorcycle when the accident occurred.
While several persons were feared to have been trapped under the debris of the flyover in Bomikhal area, no other casualty reported after the completion of rescue work around 8 pm yester night.
As this tragic incident served as a reminder of the dangers of poor construction safety standards, here’s a look at some of the deadliest flyover collapses in India’s history:
- When Delhi was hosting the Asian Games in 1982, the Sewa Nagar flyover that was built in a rush to meet the deadlines for the games, collapsed.
- In September 2007, 20 people lost their lives in Hyderabad as a partly-constructed flyover collapsed onto traffic. The disaster occurred at the Panjagutta junction where two large concrete sections dropped on cars and trucks, injuring 20 more people.
- The collapse of a flyover being built near Mumbai’s international airport killed three people and injured another seven in 2013. A large slab fell off late in the night, trapping several people, mostly labourers, underneath it.
- In the same year, at least 14 people were injured when a road over bridge fell on a goods train passing under it in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur.
- A similar tragic incident struck Kolkata in 2013 itself. A huge portion of a flyover in Ultadanga, Kolkata collapsed injuring three people.
- In 2014, at least six labourers were crushed to death in Surat when a 35-metre-long concrete slab of a flyover being constructed near the New Court building in Athwalines collapsed.
- In February 2015, a portion of the under construction Wazirabad-Janakpuri bridge collapsed in the Pitampura area of Delhi leaving three seriously injured.
- In March 2016, an under-construction flyover in the densely-populated Barra Bazar area of North Kolkata collapsed killing at least 26 people and leaving several others injured.
- In July 2017, an under-construction flyover in Sasaram in Bihar’s Rohtas district collapsed killing one person and leaving many others injured.