Bhopal: At least 14 people were charred to death and more than 25 injured in a massive fire outbreak at a packed ration store in Madhya Pradesh’s Chhindwara district on Friday. The fire erupted at a fair price ration shop in Harrai village of Chhindwara, where several villagers had arrived to avail the subsidized kerosene. The death toll could further rise.
According to reports, the fire broke out at 6 PM, when dozens had lined up outside the ration shop to purchase the subsidized kerosene. Due to the massive amount of kerosene stocked up at the ration shop, the fire soared to an unprecedented level. The Chhindwara district authorities raised an emergency alarm, calling for additional fire brigades from the neighboring districts.
Chhindwara Collector, along with the Superintendent of Police have reached the fire spot to monitor the steps taken to douse off the flames. Nearly 25 people are reported to be still trapped inside the ration shop. Efforts are underway to evacuate them safely. Several fire-tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the inferno.