Female elephant electrocuted
Angul: A female elephant carcass was found near Bhadramunda village under Khamar forest range in Angul district on Wednesday morning. As per sources, the elephant have died after coming in contact with an 11kV live wire late last night while venturing into the fields of the villagers to eat ‘moong’ crop.
According to the Khamar range forest officials, the elephant aged around 20-22 years must have come in contact with a low-lying overhead 11kV live wire which got snapped and laid beside the body of the elephant.
The forest department officials are examining the exact cause of death. This is the fourth such case in last two years in this area.
However, it may be noted here that in forest areas, live electric wires remain sagging at many places, for which, the elephants come in contact with these low-hanging live wires and die.