Angul: An elephant carcass was found from a farmland near Hemamura village of Sapaghara panchayat under Handapa Forest Range in Anugul district on Wednesday.
As per sources, the tusker was electrocuted to death while venturing into the fields late last night after coming in contact with the electric fencing laid around the croplands. The electric wires were laid in order to protect the crops from wild boars.
On being informed, forest department officials reached the spot and sent the remains for post-mortem.
According to forest officials, the jumbo, aged around 8-10 years, must have come in contact with the electric wire causing its death on the spot.
The forest department officials have initiated a probe into the incident.