Bhubaneswar: In a bid to avoid the occurrence of any mishap during Diwali celebrations, the Commissionerate of Police on Monday issued a safety advisory for the festival of lights.
The advisory read a series of do’s and don’ts to ensure mishap-free celebrations during the lighting of lamps and bursting of crackers on Diwali eve.
The advisory read:
- Buy firecrackers etc from licensed shops.
- Do not allow children to use fireworks independently but only under supervision.
- Safety precautions indicated on the fireworks should be strictly followed.
- Do not use fireworks which create sound above 125 db.
- Do not wear silk, resham or polyester while using fireworks.
- Use a candle or long stick to ignite the fireworks.
- Always keep a bucket of water/sand and blanket at hand to extinguish fire.
- Keep first aid box ready while using fireworks.
- Aerial fireworks should be exploded in open spaces safe landing zone.
- Dispose off used crackers properly by soaking in water.
- Never ignite fireworks while holding them. Put those down, ignite and walk away.
- Don’t put fireworks in any container to ignite.
- Don’t use fireworks on animals.
- Avoid bursting crackers near schools, hostels, hospitals, residential areas with senior citizens and crowded places.
- In case of emergency, call Police Control Room (Dial 100) or Fire Station (Dial 101) for help.