Bhubaneswar: The Union Government has constituted a new thirteen-membered committee to form a strategy to expedite the process of transforming India into a cashless economy. Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has been included as a member of the committee.
With the directive from the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), the committee was set up to back up the demonetisation move. The centre in this regard reached out to the chief ministers of all the states for empanelment of the committee. The committee of chief ministers formed by NITI Aayog (National Institution for Transforming India) will operate with the following vision
- Identify and operationalise in the earliest possible time frame user-friendly digital payment options in all sectors of the economy.
- Identify various digital payment systems appropriate to different sectors of the economy and coordinate efforts to make them accessible.
- Engage regularly with Central ministries, state governments, regulators, local bodies, district administration, trade and industry associations to promote adoption of digital payment systems.
- Estimate costs involved in various digital payments options and oversee implementation of measures to make such transactions between citizens and government cheaper than cash transactions.
- Implement an action plan on advocacy, awareness and hand-holding efforts among public-, micro-enterprises and other stakeholders.
The detail composition of the committee:
|1||Chandrababu Naidu, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh;||Convener|
|2||Naveen Patnaik, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Odisha||Member|
|3||Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh||Member|
|4||Pawan Kumar Chamling, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Sikkim||Member|
|5||V. Narayanasamy, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Puducherry||Member|
|6||Devendra Fadnavis, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Maharashtra||Member|
|7||Arvind Panagariya, Vice- Chairman, NITI Aayog||Member|
|8||Amitabh Kant, CEO, NITI Aayog||Member Secretary|
|9||Nandan Nilekani, former Chairman, UIDAI||Special invitee|
|10||Janmejaya Sinha, Chairman, Boston Consulting Group||Special invitee|
|11||Rajesh Jain, Managing Director, NETCORE||Special invitee|
|12||Sharad Sharma, Co-founder, ISPIRIT||Special invitee|
|13||Jayant Varma, Professor (Finance), IIM (Ahmedabad)||Special invitee|