Bhubaneswar : The Bhubaneswar Smart City (BSL) Limited has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) here on Friday, with United Nations Populations Fund (UNPFA) to take the agenda (‘New Urban Agenda’) forward in socially promoting the smart city of Bhubaneswar. Earlier, a month ago the members states of the United Nations met at Quito, In Equador to adopt the ‘New Urban Agenda’.
The MoU signed has the following objectives ;
- Re-addressing the way the cities and human settlements are planned, designed, financed, developed, governed and managed in order to reduce inequalities.
- It plans for a smart city where there would be special focus on the needs of young people, girls and women.
- To promote safety and security of girls and women especially in urban slums
- To conduct safety audits and community engagement programmes.
- A range of innovative people-centric interventions like, The Citizen Connect programme, Support My City volunteer programme and Neighbourhood Watch programme will be organised.
- For creating awareness, establishment of youth clubs, City Changer Lab, Annual Youth Conclave will be made and also would be made through social media.
- With an initial target of covering eight slums, by the end of December 2017, the memorandum aims to cover the entire city in socially promoting the smart city of Bhubaneswar.
By 2017 December end, a cost of more than Rs 100 crores have been estimated towards completion of the project.Diago Palasias from UNPFA and BSL Chief Administrative Officer R. Vineel Krishna signed the MoU.Among other, Cultural and Tourism Minister Ashok Chandra Panda, MLAs Priyadarshi Mishra, Bijay Kumar Mohanty, Mayor Ananta Narayan Jena were also present.