Bhubaneswar: Assets worth lakhs and several valuable documents were gutted in a fire which broke out at the United Bank of India (UBI), Kharavela Nagar branch building in the city last night.
The mishap took place around 1.20 am. No casualty has been reported.
According to reports, the guard of the bank first witnessed smokes billowing out of the windowpanes of the first floor of the bank’s building, following which he immediately called up fire brigade office.
Two units of fire brigade teams reached the spot and brought the flames under control after an hour’s effort.
Furniture, computers and official documents have reduced into ashes during the mishap.
While the exact cause behind the incident is not known, it is being suspected that an electric short circuit could have caused the spark.