Cuttack: Following the death of six passengers in the Angul bus accident on Tuesday, transport minister Ramesh Majhi has initiated steps to prevent such accidents in future.
The minister has advised for all buses to mention in writing their seating and standing capacity on the bus and also give a toll free number for complaints by passengers regarding overload. “Sign boards will be installed at the accident prone sites so that commuters are more careful,” said Majhi. The new rules for buses will be enlisted after an ensuing meeting between NHAI and PWD officials, sources said.
So far six people have been confirmed dead in the Angul bus accident while the rest critically injured 15 are under treatment at SCB Medical in the city.
Meanwhile, three member probe committee has been set up by the district administration. The Angul Sub Collector, Sub Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) and Regional Transport Officer (RTO) will probe into the incident, said Angul Collector Anil Kumar Samal. The members today visited the accident spot along with Samal and after preliminary investigations found that the accident was caused due to driver’s fault and also owing to the carelessness of the bike rider who came before the bus.