Nabarangpur: Three members of a family died and another fell critically ill allegedly after eating cakes made of mango kernel at Mainapadar village under Jharigam block of Nabarangpur district on Tuesday.
Two of the deceased were identified as Sudhamani Santa and Namita Santa, wife and sister of Arjun Santa of Mainapadar village. Another girl child of the family also died in the evening.
According to sources, Arjun and his brother Avinash were away from home when their family members reportedly consumed cakes made of mango kernel in the morning. After eating the cakes they affected by diarrhoea. The male members assumed that it was normal diarrhoea. However, when their condition deteriorated, the family members rushed them to Jharigaon hospital at around 3 am where Namita died. Sudhamani died at the district headquarters hospital (DHH).
“The family members had cakes made of mango in the morning when the male members of the family were away for work. In the evening, they affected by diarrhoea. However, the male members did not take the ill members to hospital assuming it to be a normal case of diarrhoea. The family members rushed them to Jharigaon at around 3 am when their condition deteriorated. One of them died at the hospital while others were referred to Nabarangpur DHH where one of them died. Another girl child died in the evening while undergoing treatment, ” said additional district medical officer (ADMO) Choudhury Shovarani Mishra.
Meanwhile, state for commerce & transports minister Ramesh Chandra Majhi visited the village and met the family. He said the family is not poor and they have sufficient food. The family owns a tractor and the deceased woman was a ward member. “They usually eat the mango kernel. After having it they suffered food poisoning,” Majhi added.